While for some individuals social networking sites can just be a virtual place to share thoughts and have fun. For companies and multinational giants, social networking sites could mean real business. In order to take advantage of the different opportunities arising in markets, savvy business owners need to know and use several social media platforms to stay in the game.
Networking sites have really molded the way information was shared. By completely altering the digital era, social media has confined the traditional ways in which business relationships used to begin. Where we used to have word-of-mouth referrals and recommendation letters, today’s relationships are often sparked and maintained on Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn.
The Fermentalist has analyzed 5 best social networking sites based on the criteria of enquiries, brand exposure and traffic they can divert to your websites. You can figure out which social networking platform best suits your promotional strategy and could help you in getting your message across the target audience effectively.
1. Facebook: Facebook is one of the most powerful and fastest growing online platform that allows customization of user interface. It also enables you to install different applications to further personalize your experience.
Not just you can share photos, links and your personal thoughts, but you can also show support for different brands by liking their page and increasing their fan following. It’s a great medium for earning brand exposure. Businesses can easily run fully customized advertising campaigns on Facebook by placing adverts with the most relevant information they might choose.
If your website hosts a moderate level of traffic then Facebook can play an essential role in increasing your brand’s popularity. However, it would only attract people who are interested in your product portfolio. You can attract people to share content from your website by keeping it informational and engaging.
2. Twitter: Twitter is the second most popular micro-blogging online platform that allows its users to tweet information in 140 characters or less. It initially started as a medium to communicate with family, friends and colleagues but has evolved into a powerful social networking site which provides a super-fast way to disseminate latest updates.
Although the messages limit is confined to 140 characters or less, but that is more than enough to publish a link, share a photo or even tweet thoughts with your followers or the people whom you are following.
It allows you the freedom to instantly reply and respond to your fans’ messages. You can build up a community of loyal followers who would re-tweet your messages they would love to recommend.
You can attract a fair amount of traffic to your website by sharing relevant, witty and engaging content with your followers on twitter. However, you should keep in mind that under or over promotion can both be annoying and might budge your followers to turn off receiving your notifications.
3. LinkedIn: LinkedIn is one of the mainstream social networking sites that’s focused towards business. Its tagline “Relationships Matter” is completely appropriate to tell us what this website does. LinkedIn help individuals and companies to develop and maintain relationships with people. You can share content that matters the most to your company and career with people in your network on LinkedIn.
Despite the fact that LinkedIn is not a platform to ignite spontaneous communication with others, it allows you to create a strong identity for your business by giving you the control to receive and answer enquiries related to your industry and area of expertise.
You can keep your followers and networkers in loop by sharing the most relevant and up-to-date news about your career or business. This way you can drive a fair amount of traffic to your website.
4. Instagram: Instagram is a fast and one of the most convenient connection between the camera feature on your phone and all your social media profiles. It allows you to share your ideas via Facebook, Twitter and the Instagram website to generate traffic and spread awareness about your original brand.
You can choose and apply an appropriate photo filter for your image, from a wide range of variety available before publishing your photo or ideas. By allowing people to follow your profile on Instagram you can invite friends and followers to comment on your photos and share your ideas they would love to recommend.
By building a profile on Instagram you can attract a significant amount of traffic for your website. However, you need to be particular about the images and ideas you share on your profile as that will influence the amount of exposure your brand can accumulate. By keeping your posts relevant to what your company offers is the best way of attracting and keeping your audience cognized about the latest happenings at your end.
5. Google+: Google+ is what you can call a perfect combo of the best features of Facebook and Twitter into one site with a backup power of the world’s largest search engine –Google. It is one of the most interactive social networking platforms that you can use to circulate information, photos, links, user identities and interests.
You can easily get used to its features that allows you to share new content with ease, highlight topics with the use of relevant hashtags and to create categories to separate contacts into different circles and communities. And to top it all off, it only takes a couple of minutes to set-up a completely new profile on Google+.
Google+ works on a feature called instant upload; it allows you to save photos and videos in a private album on your smartphone, which fosters the ease with which you can share ideas with people in your circles.
The secret to remain competitive and to prevent your company from going out of business is to bring the resources to your advantage. All you need to do is to identify your needs to attain effective communication and then select an appropriate channel to disseminate your information with your target audiences.
Social networking platforms are definitely an asset in this digital age. And with continuous advancements in technology, better accessibility options and user experiences are being made possible.